The Georgia senior high school Association’s very very first reclassification in four years has had about brand new areas and fresh rivalries.
Reigning region soccer champions such as for example Peach County and Crisp County, Parkview and Grayson, Blessed Trinity and Cartersville, and Harrison and Marietta will need to undergo one another in 2020 if they’re to win another title.
The Georgia senior school Association circulated the 2020 football schedules on for a season that’s four months away if COVID-19 allows tuesday.
Listed here are the 10 many region that is intriguing regarding the 2020 period. On Wednesday, AJC.com can look during the 10 most interesting games that are non-region.
• Peach County at Crisp County (Oct. 9) — Peach and Crisp each have actually won four Class that is straight AAA games, and both are unbeaten in region play since 2015. Peach ended up being the AAA runner-up in 2017 and 2018. Crisp had been runner-up in 2019. This autumn, these AAA abilities would be when you look at the exact same area 2-AAA along side Mary people, which will be decreasing from AAAA. Though simply 52 kilometers apart, Peach and Crisp have actuallyn’t played since 2009. Peach offensive lineman Terrence Ferguson is really a top-75 recruit that is national. Crisp linebacker Chris Paul Jr. May be the AAA that is reigning player of the season.
• Athens Academy at Prince Avenue Christian (Oct. 9) — These Athens-area competitors have actually won Region 8-A five times apiece within the last 10 periods, with Athens Academy using the previous three. Both could be rated into the top five once more in preseason. This year’s game has the added spice of two for the nation’s most heavily recruited players. They certainly were here in 2019 too, the good news is they’re seniors that are spotlighted. Prince Avenue Christian quarterback Brock Vandagriff and Athens Academy cornerback/wide receiver Deion Colzie both show up as top-50 prospects that are national. Vandagriff has dedicated to Georgia. Colzie, previously focused on Notre Dame, has been courted by home-town Georgia, as well.
• Parkview at Grayson (Oct. 16) — Parkview won area 7-AAAAAAA the last two periods and reached the semifinals in 2019. Grayson won area 8-AAAAAAA the last two periods making the quarterfinals in 2018 and 2019. Now, these highest-classification abilities — each very nearly undoubtedly become ranked when you look at the top five of this preseason rankings — will share the brand new area 4. Parkview comes back eight players have been all-region, including rusher that is 1,676-yard Brown, the state’s highest-rated operating right back possibility. Meanwhile, seven of 247Sports’ top 102 rising senior leads attend Grayson. Those consist of Florida commits Carlos Del Rio, a quarterback, and Daejon Reynolds, a receiver that is wide. Those two Gwinnett County schools have actuallyn’t played one another since 2015.
• Blessed Trinity at Cartersville (Oct. 16) — Since 2014, whenever Trevor Lawrence turned up at Cartersville, only two teams in Georgia have actually won up to 79 games in every classifications. You guessed it. Blessed Trinity is 79-7-1 with three state games, and Cartersville is 79-5 with two state games. Two of Cartersville’s five losings for the reason that period came against Blessed Trinity, one in Lawrence’s final game that is high 2017, one other when you look at the 2018 AAAA championship game. Now, the ‘Canes and Titans are going to share equivalent area 7-AAAAA, both relocated up from AAAA into the latest reclassification. (This area will also consist of Calhoun. ) Cartersville has won 53 games that are straight count in area standings. Blessed Trinity has won 33 of the final 34 and avenged the defeat that is loneMarist) in a situation championship.
• Lowndes at Colquitt County (Oct. 23) — It’s just the largest of a few South that is big Georgia games on a yearly basis. Lowndes went 10-0 two of history three seasons that are regular including 2019, as soon as the Vikings were state runners-up to Marietta. Colquitt County, state champ in 2014 and 2015 (runner-up in 2016-17), continues to be Colquitt under second-year mentor Justin Rogers. Lowndes could have a coach that is new the 1st time in almost two decades. Jamey DuBose, changing the Randy that is retired McPherson won two state titles at Central of Phenix City, Ala. He’ll have actually nine coming back first-team all-Region 1 players. Protection T.J. Quinn and end that is defensive Hunter are top-100 senior recruits. Colquitt has just four going back first-team all-region players. A person is Lemeke Brockington, an all-state wide receiver whom is devoted to Minnesota. Lowndes overcome Colquitt 28-17 year that is last.
• Harrison at Marietta (Oct. 23) — Two reigning state champions will collide at Marietta’s Northcutt Stadium. Marieta won the greatest course final period, the Blue Devils’ first name since 1967. Harrison won the class just underneath, the Hoyas’ very very first name ever sold. Now, they’re in Region 3-AAAAAAA together, set to play one another when it comes to time that is first 2015. Marietta is graduating a few major Division I recruits such as Harrison Bailey (finalized with Tennessee), tight end Arik Gilbert (LSU), wide receiver Ricky White (Michigan State) and protective end B.J. Ojulari (LSU). The Blue Devils had six players that are first-team the recently released GSWA all-state group. The Hoyas destroyed a great senior class additionally but return all-region players in receiver Marques Owens, protective lineman Bryce Stanfield, center linebacker and leading tackler Marcus Bleazard and place-kicker Christian Lowery.
• Stephenson at Marist (Oct. 23) — Region 6-AAAA also counts Mays and Hapeville Charter among its members that are new and any game concerning the four will likely be interesting, but history takes Stephenson vs. Mays to a greater degree of intrique Those two programs, and their coaches, are DeKalb County icons, yet the schools have not played one another in soccer. Stephenson dropping two classes to AAAA is which makes it feasible. Their coaches are treasures. Marist’s Alan Chadwick has won 386 games, 18 area games and two state championships. Stephenson’s Ron Gartrell has won 239 games and 10 area titles. They’re the only real two GHSA coaches who possess headed up Georgia groups constantly since 1988. Gartrell had been a rookie head mentor at Shamrock at the time. Shamrock played Chadwick’s Marist groups in 1988 and 1989. Now, the 2 coaches will fulfill once more, 31 years later on.
• Valdosta at Lee County (Oct. 30) — The 53-50 rating of last year’s game is sufficient to buzz that one. It had been won by way of an industry objective into the minute that is final. Chauncey Magwood, a rising senior invested in Kentucky, had eight receptions for 136 yards. But this video game could have the excitement that is extra of Propst walking Valdosta’s sidelines. The previous Colquitt County advisor and state that is seven-time ended up being hired early in the day this thirty days after per year in exile. Lee County has won area 1-AAAAAA the last three periods and took state games in 2017 and 2018. Valdosta won state in 2016. Lee has local asian dating beaten Valdosta the last two periods; Valdosta won the last four conferences.
• Dacula at Buford (Nov. 6) — these educational schools are simply 13 kilometers aside but haven’t played one another since 1995. Ahead of that, they’d been rivals dating into the 1960s, whenever both had been Class B schools. Buford is coming down a continuing state name in Class AAAAA, the Wolves’ 12th in history but first since 2014. Dacula has won four region that is straight and reached the semifinals final period at 13-1. Buford relocated up in course, and today the 2 are Region 8-AAAAAA competitors. Dacula has won 20 right area games and four right region games. Buford hadn’t lost a non-forfeited area game since 2009 until beaten by Clarke Central year that is last. Amari Wansley of Buford and Kaleb Edwards of Dacula are a couple of of the finest safeties in Georgia. Lanier will also be one factor in this loaded area.
• Sandy Creek at Cedar Grove (Nov. 6) — The committee that is reclassn’t have put area 5-AAA together without breaking a grin. Cedar Grove, Sandy Creek, Greater Atlanta Christian, Westminster. Any game those types of might be epic, but Sandy Creek is considered the most exotic to another three. Just Westminster has played Sandy Creek, and therefore had been 25 years back. A situation champ during 2009, 2010 and 2012, Sandy Creek had a resurgence season that is last increasing towards the semifinals in Class AAAA. Now, the Patriots fall down in class in order to find the two-time state that is defending, Cedar Grove, inside their brand brand brand new area. Those two meet into the last game of this season that is regular.
• Others to view: Rome at Carrollton (Sept. 25), Coffee at Warner Robins (Oct. 30), Kell at Allatoona (Oct. 23), Roswell at Milton (Oct. 23); Irwin County at Clinch County (Oct. 30)
Help journalism that is real. Help local journalism. Sign up to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution today. See provides.
Your membership towards the Atlanta Journal-Constitution funds reporting that is in-depth investigations that keep you informed. Many thanks for supporting genuine journalism.